I think this is the family I know the least about.
1. THOMAS MURPHY married CATHERINE RYAN about 1865, probably in Kilkenny. I am pretty sure that I am listing their correct children, but the first three have birthdates that overlap. I suspect that’s because they gave different dates on their US records. I’m pretty sure they are all from this family given where they lived close to and with each other in Cambridge and how they used the same family names. Or maybe some of them were twins. Or maybe someone doesn’t belong in this family. But this is the best info I have at the moment.
1. Catherine Murphy was born in January 1866 in Kilmakevoge, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland.
2. WALTER MURPHY was born in 1866 or 1867 in Kilkenny, Ireland. He emigrated to Cambridge, Mass. in 1891 about the Pavonia. In Cambridge, he worked in a slaughterhouse. In 1892, he married an Irish maid named ANASTASIA GAULE. Their children were born in Cambridge:
i. Mary Katherine Murphy (1894-1950) married James Fitzgerald.
ii. Thomas Philip Murphy (1895-1918) died in France in World War I.
iii. Helen Murphy was a bookbinder.
iv. Walter Murphy married Rita Barry.
v. Anastasia Murphy married Timothy Lane.
vi. AGNES MURPHY (1902-1984) was my grandmother! She married MICHAEL HEGARTY in 1925 in Cambridge, but they moved and had their family in Somerville.
vii. Theresa Murphy married Edward Lane (no relation to Timothy).
viii. Elizabeth Murphy, b. 1897 in Cambridge, MA. I assume she died as a child because I have never heard anyone in my family mention her, but there she was in the Massachusetts vital records.
3. Mary Murphy, born about 1867 in Ireland (probably Kilkenny). Died 13 Jan 1909 in Cambridge, MA, where she worked as a cook. She was living with her brother Walter. She wasn’t in the 1900 US census. Her death certificate lists a Catherine Murphy as the informant, which makes me wonder if their sister Catherine had also come to the US.
4. Thomas Murphy, born 1868 in Kilmakevoge, Kilkenny, Ireland.
5. Anne Murphy, born 1870 in Kilmakevoge, Kilkenny, Ireland.
- Massachusetts vital records on ancestry.com, americanancestors.org, and familysearch.org
- Ireland births and baptisms, 1620-1881 on familysearch.org
- US Federal Census for 1900, 1910, 1920 and 1930
- Hegarty family papers
- US Index to Naturalization Petitions on ancestry.com
- Petition for naturalization of Walter Murphy
- WW1 Military Cablegrams, NARA at footnote.com
- Social Security Deaths Index